Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My Shelves

I desperately needed shelves to place my harvest jars and bulk foods. I had a blast completing this project and hope you enjoy! I adapted an Ana-White.com barn beam pattern to fit my needs.
The adaptions..
My space was 20.5", I bought 1x4x8 boards and cut them to 19" sections--this gave me 4 pieces per 8 foot of board purchased. I also bought 1x6x8 boards for the shelf part of the shelves. My storage jars are 5 inches deep, so the 4 inches that Ana recommended just wouldn't work. Quite okay, it's an easy adjustment.
I needed deeper shelves to fit my jars. I used 1x4's for the front and back of the shelves and 1x6's for the top and bottom of the shelves.
I chose not to use key holes to hang my shelves, due to the location of the studs in the wall. Instead I screwed directly through the back of the shelf into the corner stud on the left side and into a located stud on the right side.
I also trimmed 1/2" off of the front of the shelves. This make sit easier to lift my jars off of the shelves.



This is the Ebony stain. It goes on JET black-scared me at first!


But once wiped off, they looked like weathered barn wood. Perfect!
 
Make sure to leave the knots and other rough spots on the front of the shelf. They really add character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment