Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Queen Elizabeth's Own Cake-->to Die for!

After college my mom bought me the cookbook "500 Treasured Country Recipes" by Martha Storey and Friends. It is still one of my favorites and has managed to stick around for over 7 years (quite the accomplishment, for a cookbook, in my house). It wasn't until a couple years ago that I decided to try the "Queen Elizabeth's Own Cake" recipe. Now it is one of my favorite cakes.
Since it is Chloe and Paige's four year old birthday, I figured this would be a simple fun project for us to do during "art/craft" time. The children LOVE to cook in the kitchen. I still can't believe the moist sweet--not too sweet--fluffiness that comes out of my oven! Even better? I can make it with my organic ingredients and they are all easy to find ingredients!

"Years ago, Esther Green's cake was one of the traditional bake sale items at our annual church fund-raiser. Her source was a secret, but she swore that it was authentically Queen Elizabeth's! Moist and delicious, it's fit for a king and queen alike."

Queen Elizabeth's Own Cake

1 cup boiling water
1 cup chopped dates (I used raisins)
1 level teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coconut or chopped pecans

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F; grease a 9-inch square cake pan. In a large bowl, pour the water over the dates. Add the soda and let stand while the remaining ingredients are prepared.
2. Cream together the sugar and butter. Add the egg and vanilla; stir in the coconut, flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour into the date mixture and blend well
3. Pour the batter into the cake pan. Bake for 35 (I cooked mine for 45 mins) minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake before icing.

Icing

5 Tablespoons light borwn sugar
5 Tablespoons cream
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup coconut or chopped pecans

1. Combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. While the icing is still warm, spread it on the cooled cake. Sprinkle with coconut.

Yum Yum....I don't have a sweet tooth so I usually grab a piece before I pour the icing on, but either way it's delightful!

Check out this link to find a bit of history on the cake. My cookbook follows the same storyline.

My recipe does vary a little bit from this one, but I'm sure it's still de-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment