Sunday, March 13, 2011

Successful Bread!

As I mentioned in my pizza dough blog, I am horrible when it comes to working with yeast, but when baby #3 insisted on some yeast rolls tonight for dinner, I caved. I searched high and low on all recipes for an "easy" recipe, found one, baked it, and conquerored the challenge! The family devoured every last roll that I made--yippee!

Quick Yeast Rolls

2 T shortening
3 T sugar (or honey/agave)
1 C Hot water
1 Pkg of active yeast
1 egg beaten
1 ts salt
2 1/4 C flour (any is great, I used organic all purpose)

Mix the first three ingredients and allow to cool until luke warm. Once the water is luke warm add the yeast.
Allow the yeast to disolve.  While the yeast is disolving, beat the egg. Add the egg and the salt to the yeast mixture. Slowly add in the flour. The mix will be extremely wet, but trust me, do not add any flour, the end result is worth the stickiness!
Cover the dough and let double in size.
(Useful tip: Place a piece of scotch tape on the outside of the bowl to mark the starting point of the dough.) 
Once the dough has doubled, seperate into 8 pieces--mine were more like blobs. I used a pie pan and dropped 8 pieces together and just pulled apart later. Allow the dough to rise another 10-15 minutes. Place in a 425 degree oven for 10 minutes until knife comes out clean.

We topped our rolls with Cinnamon Honey Butter--Nom Nom!

Dig in and enjoy!

*Note: if you want to have any for the dinner table do not taste before you serve dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment