Saturday, December 31, 2011

A new family member...

We have a void. A rather large void, that will never completely heal or be filled. But, this little gal is sure off to a great start of filling that void. About 9 weeks ago, october 27th, Maestro went to heaven to fill a guardian-dog angel position. I miss him. A ton. Randy has respectfully allowed me to heal and has not pushed his desire for another dog onto me. Recently I have had a strong pressing desire to look fir another companion and guardian. I was unsure, but thought...looking never hurt anyone. I came across two female German Shepherd pups (mixes) who were rescued from a high kill shelter by A Puppy's Voice in Fort Collins,CO.

Randy was out running a few errans and called to check-in to see if I needed anything. I casually said no and that I found a few pups that were "calling my name". Later, when he got home, I showed him the photos.they were going to be at an adoption fair the next morning, 3 hours away! We immediately contacted Ashley, the lady in charge. She informed us that one of the pups was just adopted but she still had "Confetti"--the one Randy liked. She promised to hold her until we could see her the next morning. Randy switched work days so he could drive up with me and the next morning we were on our way to meet "Confetti".

Ashley wasn't around when we arrived at the adoption fair. I had just enough information for the volunteers to direct us to Little Miss Confetti. As soon as our eyes locked we knew she was going home with us.

Flashback Moment: Maestro and his brother were rescued by my mom and I back in Indiana. Maestro's mom (a pure bred German Shepherd) had a one night stand with a Chow. The breeder didn't want the pups so turned him (and his brother) in to the shelter--a high kill shelter at that time. I clicked with Maestro and he became Randy's and mine--we started dating right around the time I adopted Maestro. (His brother went to live on an Ostrich farm--lol--another story.)
Maestro was the BEST dog. Dark faced, two G.S. moles on his cheeks, a white spot on his bottom lip, a darker tail, tucked his paws up under himself and a NEED to please.

Okay--back to our visit with "Confetti". Randy fell in love instantly. As he picked her up she was shaking all over the place. Poor thing barely knew her mother.
You see, "Confetti's" mom was turned into the shelter--knocked-up--:). After her mom gave birth she was adopted by a new family. All we know was that she was a German Shepherd, possibly a mix and about 60-65 lbs.
"Confetti" and her siblings were rescued by "A Puppy's Voice" and immediately placed in foster homes. They were placed on a parvo-pill and dewormer. "Confetti" was also placed on a kennel cough medication. When we met her she was the last of the liter and obviously quite shaken. After a Few minutes we were butter in her paws and she was snuggling in my lap. We also noticed a few other things about her: she has a dark faced, two G.S. moles on her cheeks, a white spot on her bottom lip, a darker tail, tucks her paws under her and a NEED to please. If I didn't know better I would say Maestro found us again.

Today, we chose a name. It was a close call between Zelda and Zoe, but in the end, Zoe stuck. (Randy wants to spell it with two "e"s--we'll see).

We spent the day loving on her, potty training and researching her mix. We thought she was perhaps an English Mastiff mix, but the more we research and look at photos, the more she looks like a German Shepherd and Saint Bernard Mix! Boy oh boy!

*Note: We chose to stick with a German Shepherd Mix because we LOVE the breed and because mixes often avoid genetic disorders that run in Purebreds. Plus we really wanted to rescue a dog. :)


2 comments:

  1. She's such a cutie! I'm glad Maestro found your family again:)
    xo,
    mimi

    ReplyDelete