Monday, January 9, 2012

My First Recipe--Alfredo Sauce

This isn't my first "made-up" recipe, but it IS my first semi-measured and documented recipe. My husband, Randy, always says, "I've never eaten the same meal twice". You see, I'm not one to measure ingredients or follow another's recipe to the "T". I just chop, toss and enjoy the moment. With that said, I'm always trying to find a great alfredo sauce recipe, but alas, can never find one I thoroughly enjoy. After much frustration and searching, I started whipping together a recipe tonight! I documented--as closely as possible--for future reference. I hope you find it as delightful as we did!

Christina's Alfredo Sauce*

3 small garlic cloves chopped/diced--however you like it
1/2 small onion diced
2 handfuls of spinach-chopped
2 T butter
12 oz Pacific Condensed Cream of Chicken
10 oz Whole Milk**
4 oz cream cheese
3/4 C Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 of a small lemon zested***
Dash Red Pepper (Optional--but highly recommended)

Saute the garlic and onion for 2 minutes on Medium High. (If you use fresh red peppers--diced/chopped--now would be a great time to add them.) Try not to cook the onion much longer than 5 minutes.^
Toss in the chopped spinach, watching it carefully so it does not burn. Turn down the heat to Medium and add the Cream of Chicken and Milk. Cut the Cream Cheese into the mixture, stirring until creamy.Turn heat down to Low. Add your spices. You may need more or less depending on your taste. Zest your lemon directly into the sauce. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add your Parmesan Cheese. Let cook at low heat for an additional few minutes.
Place on top of your noodles and enjoy! Nom Nom!


*I use as many organic ingredients as I can find. The closer to natural it is, the better it is for you.
**We use Whole Milk because it's closer to it's natural state: more vitamins, more protein, more how God created us to eat it. Plus, it keeps you fuller longer. If you choose to use a different type of milk you may want to add a thickening agent.
***I simply take a lemon and use a zester to scrape the peel directly into the sauce.

^Randy and I have discovered that if you cook certain foods too long, they naturally release a chemical that can give you migraines! Go figure!


No comments:

Post a Comment